Small format Trying to Contain the Anger #5

In this version I isolated the face and upper body of the figure. The colors I used were mostly warm. I wanted the position of the hands and the face to convey emotion, not the vigorous brushstrokes or saturated colors I  usually use. I am really happy with this figure but I am not sure there is a sense of strong emotion here.

I have done 5 of these smaller paintings. I started out with the idea of a suite but they seem to have developed more as studies. I like them however they are labeled. I have 1 more small canvas that I’m thinking of something different. And then I have the larger canvas 30″x 30″ that I’ll probably do one last figure on it.

small anger brown

Trying to Contain the Anger #5

Small format, green

Another in the suite of smaller format pictures. I wasn’t sure how the green would work . There is actually more yellow in the hair but doesn’t show up well.  I wanted to try  colors I don’t normally use for figures.  I think the face and arms could use more green but I am satisfied with these results. I may try one with a spectrum of colors or maybe just shades of grey. [sounds like I have my next 2 paintings!]  The figure is a close up, focusing on her face and left arm. I plan to do another  close up. I have 2 smaller square canvases and a larger one left. [30″ x 30” or app. 76cm x 76 cm.]

green small figure compressed

painting again

Good Grief! I didn’t realize its been over 2 months since I’ve painted! Shame on me. I could say life got in the way but that is no excuse.

Anyway, here is another small canvas Trying to Contain the Anger.  This is the first layer. Generally pleased with it. Have some anatomical adjustments  to do but that is the beauty of oil. Mess it up and one can just paint over it, wet into wet for me.

I feel good when I paint. If something is bothering me, if I am obsessing over things, I can paint. And I calm down. No, the problems are the same but I am seeing them differently. My mind is engaged with painting problems, with seeing, with feeling. And what I was obsessing about just isn’t that important anymore.

blue anger first layer

Blue Anger. First layer. French ultramarine, alizarin crimson, and titanium white. 2ft x 2ft or app. 61.5 cm x 61.5 cm.

watercolors and pastels

I’ve been experimenting with watercolors. My painting style is definitely not conducive for the media. But I thought I’d give it a try. Dark to light, layering one color over another with thin washes….. ah, no. I’m posting a picture of the watercolor being worked over with pastels. Thought I’d publish it before I go too far. I’ve done this in the past with drypoint prints  and even used acrylic paint thinned to shade some of them. But painting with H20 is different, it seems. No matter. I’ll see what happens with  pastels.

I’m also posting an angel that I reworked. It is  6 winged like the ones in St. Marks, Venice. The color may present as very orange but that is the result of the digital camera and lighting.

Small format Suite

I have a bunch of 20″ x 20″ canvases that I am going to use as studies. They also will be paintings in their own right. I can work faster on the smaller canvases, taking days rather than weeks to complete. I plan to experiment with color. I am thinking of them as a “suite”.  It will incorporate the figure as well as the angel motifs, having them influence each other but not necessarily in a linear way. A series, to me, seems to imply one done then the next, rather methodical. I want there to be a fluid or more organic relationship among these smaller paintings. At least, that is the plan at this point.

This is almost finished. Some of the yellow on the arm needs to be toned down

small-anger-1

Trying to Contain the Anger, small suite 1

Save

Save

Lucifer Rising 3 sorta finished

I’ve reached the point where I can do no more on this painting for the time being. I am satisfied with the figure but the background is still not right. I like the thick layers of paint  and the colors for Lucifer.

I’ve included a close up of the figure. I’ve looked at my other angel pictures for help with the background but they don’t  work with this one.    I need to turn it to the wall and not look at it for a long while.

progress #2

I’ve adjusted the figure to be a bit more central to the picture plane. Still in early stages and I hesitated to even post a picture since it will probably change dramatically with each new layer. I’ve found, tho, that looking at a picture of a painting sometimes helps me see things that I miss with my naked eye. So here it is with a detail of brushwork .

detail-trying-12-15-16

detail of face and hand

trying-to-12-15-16-3rd-layer

third layer

The angel painting is pretty much the same as in the previous post. I have a background and a figure and they don’t quite go together yet. The back ground has pale, pastel “morning” colors while the angel has bold, saturated colors and full of expressive brushstrokes.  I have to think less literal about the background. It’s not a sky but  an imaginary place.

I’m having neck and shoulder pain. I think starting painting again in earnest may have contributed to the problem. The weather changes here  haven’t helped either. ( hot, cold, hot, cold!) I am hoping with some P.T. and pain meds I can get myself back in shape.

Digital images taken without flash with a Nikon Coolpix camera. I’d love to get a DSLR but they are still pricey for me.

Save

%d bloggers like this: