I’m almost finished with Trying to Contain the Anger but there are a few areas that need refinement. I am including a closeup of her face. I used some retouch varnish in the dark blue (ultramarine) as it appeared to be sinking. I don’t usually use varnish at all tho some of my earlier paintings do have a thin coat. It depends, mostly, on the thickness of the paint whether I use it or not. The picture seems a little out of focus to me. I think that is because I didn’t use a flash. I want to represent the colors of the painting as “true” as possible. Often, the flash bounces off of the paint and washes areas out. I’m going to let it rest for awhile and focus on Lucifer Rising.
Right now Lucifer looks too ropey and the brushstrokes are too uniform. I am thinking of adding wings as the angels on the ceiling of St. Mark’s in Venice have 6. I’ll have to see how that shakes out. With the angel, I can be freer with my interpretation and concentrate on the process more so than using a figure. When I was in grad school, the profs told me to lose the figure. I did but then as soon as I got out of school I went back to it.
Trying to Contain the Anger
Progress on Lucifer Rising 3